Friday, July 27, 2012

A fun day with car friends---

It's that time of year again when we help host friends from nationwide that come here for our annual KKOA Lead Sled Kustom Car show. My first friend to show up on Wednesday was Gasserlouie (GL)from Nebraska in his 55 Chevy gasser and I met him at the auto parts store in Salina where he was cleaning up his car from the long drive here. I had just gotten off work and so we headed for the Flats which is about 20 minutes away. Soon my pal Bob K (legendary world traveler) arrived from northern Wisconsin in his well known 52 Chevy custom convertible. 
Mrs. PF cooked up a big welcome meal and we were hungry. Here they are at the table.
We had a big meal of stuffed pork chops and then Mrs. PF served us some cherry pie ala mode to help keep our strength up.
We had a nice evening listening to the welcome rain and then we arose early on Thursday morning and drank some coffee on the patio while Mrs. PF cooked a breakfast casserole and more for us.


Soon we headed back to Salina where I picked up Minnesota friends Mark and John at their motel.
I had arranged for our small group to tour a private collection of cars that is not open to the public and holds some very rare and irreplaceable motorcars as well as historic hot rods. We were joined by two more friends from MN as well. I won't be sharing photos of this collection per the owner's request but it was amazing and we had a great time.
Then we ventured south a few miles towards Lindsborg, KS and stopped to see my niece at her fun store downtown before heading to nearby Marquette, KS to eat lunch at a small bar.
This is my friend Eugene's radical custom 59 Buick wagon on Main Street.
And a local man on the sidewalk suggested we visit the City Sundries store where they had an old soda fountain and so we did...




We wandered around downtown some.



We saw this sign which was so "small town" we thought we were in Mayberry...
And then I took the boys to the Kansas Motorcycle Museum which was fun. I have shown photos of that before so will not do it again here...
I took a photo of Bob and his car in front of a gas station  in town as well...
We then headed back towards Salina and went our separate ways before meeting up again in the evening at the kick off party for the car show event at a local hot rod shop. And I rode with Bob on this part of our journey...

And here are some shots from the party later in the day where we ate hot dogs and visited with long lost friends from nationwide...



After this we drove our cars in the downtown Salina cruise as part of the show. The sidewalks were packed with spectators who witnessed a parade of custom show cars and it was fun. I was so busy driving and talking I forgot to take any photos of this part of our day. And that brings us to the end of day one.
Thanks for following along and stay tuned for much more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment