Sunday, January 8, 2012

--RFD Kansas---

Today's blog is a photo journal of my travels looking north and west from Salina which is my home base for work and is centrally located in KS. Just random things of interest I see from time to time. 
First photo is an old travel trailer I saw at Minneapolis, KS that would look good behind our 57 Chevy....

and an old outhouse too--
and in the same town I saw an old gas station that I really liked but was too cluttered with jun for me to get a good photo so I pictured the sign instead.....remember when Fina was a big major brand of gasoline retailers? I do...
and one day when I was in Concordia, KS I saw a teenager driving this old homemade jalopy. It made me feel good to see someone so young interested in the old car hobby. And now I see why his dad would not sell me this Ford Model A chassis with a Model B engine in it when I asked about 2 years ago.....
Hand painted signage on the back of an old bank building in Belleville, KS that I liked--

and in the same town is this fantastic old gas station/dealership building that is in great shape. A few years ago it was a restaurant and then was a shipping warehouse for an online retailer for a year or two and now just sitting empty......

and speaking of old things would someone please explain to me how a bridge built in 1915 can still be in use on a heavily traveled rural road and yet newer modern bridges have to be constantly torn down and rebuilt because of stress cracks and damage? 

and on the same road but perhaps 12 miles north on a gravel road is this old iron bridge also built in 1915 and still in use....notice the plaque at the top which tells where it was built and even states the names of the men who built it----American Pride---



and a railroad depot in a ghost town named Lovewell---

In this part of the state the landscape can turn from nice fertile wheat and corn fields to rolling grasslands....


and even some rocky hills with some evergreens too--

and some cattle resting while chewing their cuds near the road--
man made irrigation ditches that divert water from a reservoir to corn farmers in the area.....

 an octagonal barn that has "Judy Ranch" painted on it in faded patina...

and in Mankato, KS is this very cool old stone house that is a former county jail----

and a very small town auto parts store that is still in business....
a rural school in the middle of nowhere on a very muddy road and notice the lack of windows on this one.....like a jail....

and finally some old relics along the road that must be someone's future projects to rebuild or restore....
Just some random shots from a week or so of driving the back roads of Kansas.....thanks for riding along!

No comments:

Post a Comment