Wednesday, December 28, 2011

---a little bit of everything---

Today's blog is a mixture of photos from my world taken by me from this week. There is no theme or particular order. Just whatever caught my eye that day and at that time. I start my photo journal with a shot of the Salina Union Pacific railroad depot in the early morning light. This is the biggest one in town and is still used for offices and crew headquarters.
and then an old Chevrolet from the late 20's or early 30's that is being used as an advertising piece in a small NW Kansas town.....
and since I love to eat I wanted to throw in some pots of soup we had the other day for Saturday dinner that were served in a bread bowl by my sister in law Nancy

and getting back to old cars how about this 33-34 Ford sedan I saw at a shop that they must be getting ready to restore soon ? Very solid body and not rusty...
And then just because I liked it I have this photo of an Odd Fellows park in a very small town (International order of Odd Fellows) that has been well kept for a hundred years or so.....I sometimes park near the fountain and eat lunch in my work truck when I am in this town.
and just down the street in Barnes, KS is this old structure called "Adobe Flats".......I am guessing it is an old abandoned bar or tavern but not sure. I am guessing that the owners were as poor as the owners of Poverty Flats are.....

and this public telephone sign was at the side door of an old telephone office in the same town....
and I still like this old abandoned livery stable in a small town that I pass thru once in awhile.......just don't see these anymore. A place to stable your horses while you are in town overnight where they could rest and eat and be groomed too.....was built in 1885 the same year the town of Waterville was founded (I think) and like most barns this one has a loft for hay on top which made for good insulation in the cold and hot seasons both....
old octagonal shaped barn at the Marshall County fairgrounds in Blue Rapids...
and I still like this old "Church lunch" building that serves food at the same fairgrounds......
some cool old mid 50's Ford T Birds I saw along the road in northern KS


and a sod house at the Marysville park/museum. There would have been no trees on the prairie for our first settlers to use for lumber so a sod plow and a good pair of draft horses would have torn up chunks of sod to be laid as block for the first homes. They weren't bad for a starter home I guess and gave adequate protection from the elements until something better could be built from native stone or imported lumber.


and I liked the looks of this old country school about 3-4 miles south of  Bremen, KS-----

and a real solid old 63-64 Chevy hardtop along the road somewhere along the way---
and the mill pond at Washington, KS where the old original flour mill and electric plant would have been located---
and an old barn that has been decorated recently along a highway I frequent---

and so goes the collection of some photos along my journey this week and I hope you enjoyed looking at the view from my windshield while I travel the roads to everywhere... Thanks for riding along again....


3 comments:

  1. got out the map and followed your route you took....just like being there

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks i needed that

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...another enjoyable ride with Mr. Poverty Flats.
    Thanks for the ride,PF......

    Mr. CuznBrucie

    ReplyDelete