Sunday, May 20, 2012

"The Animals Among Us"

It is late spring and the grass is tall. The cattle are fat and happy, horses are foaling, and everywhere I look around me I see an abundance of wild birds and wild animals galore. I have taken time to photograph some of the domestic versions of this scenery from my journeys along the Kansas backroads this week.
Let's get started with this miniature horse or pony with her newborn foal....

And watching from a window in this same barn was a Jackass donkey. I called him "Jack in the Box"
I just love to see healthy herds of cattle enjoying their life on the tender grasslands of Kansas...
And let's don't forget dairy cattle too as I stopped to photograph these old time style Jersey cows once again cause they are so pretty....

And I was very fortunate to see these Appaloosa horses near the road and they were kind enough to pose for me. Very gentle and willing to let me get close to the newborn foals....






And as so often happens, I was taking photos of one thing and discovered yet another item of interest which in this case is the blooming flowers of the prickly pear cactus.......like yellow roses....


And last but not least was this photo taken at dusk near my hometown of Gypsum in a pasture of bluestem grass which shows a longhorn cow and calf...I call it "the horn section"
We also have been blessed with bluebirds, hummingbirds, quail, turkeys, pheasants, and wrens this year but they don't often pose for my camera so you will have to take my word on it....
Thanks for looking and see  you next time as we explore all things bright and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment