Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hannibal in the morning...

I was recently in Hannibal, MO for an overnight stay since I was just passing thru the area. And as a fan of Mark Twain, I of course wanted to look around some. Always an early riser, I headed for the mighty Mississippi River park first thing in the morning. It was a nice place to watch the sun come up and there were alot of walking paths and so forth.
I saw this old warehouse right near the water and the railroad tracks and imagined all the freight that would have come and gone from here with it's decades of history ...
From this point it was only a couple of blocks to the downtown historical area of Tom Sawyer's youth. The storied tales of fiction, the riverboats and rafts, Huckleberry Finn, and all the great quotes and wisdom from Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) began right here.

 I seemingly had the whole downtown area to myself until a father and son from MN showed up and so I quickly put them to task as I needed someone to take my photo while I "whitewashed" the famous fence...

This attraction is well kept and very pleasant to see...
and I liked to see these places in person since I had imagined them in my mind since my own childhood from reading the tales of Tom Sawyer.




Like most tourist towns this one had some nice shops and stores with alot of downtown bars and boutiques. I was there before anything was open. I would like to go back and spend a weekend there when time permits. Nice Midwest river small town with rich history.
 I was glad I had came there that morning and drove away from the downtown area as I watched a tugboat push flat barges upstream to be loaded with grain from the fertile fields of our country and exported to help feed the entire world...
I didn't get far before I saw some things of interest like this old church that was for sale.
and across the street from it was an old bowling alley with a neat old sign...
and an old car dealership building for sale too...
and just before I left the downtown area to get back on the long road home, I stopped at a run down old derelict building because the sign said "Used Motors." Since I am a seller of used antique car engines myself I wanted to get a photo of that.
and painted on the side of that very same old building was this hand painted old advertising and since I am an old dairy farm boy from way back, I wanted a photo of that too...
I was sorry to have to leave Hannibal that morning but had pressing matters back home and watched it fade away in my rear view mirror. 
I hope you get a chance to visit there someday as there are many more things not seen here that are worth the effort. 
Thanks for riding along with me once again---PF.

No comments:

Post a Comment